Back to Home

We Love John Gorka!

upperlands

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: We Love John Gorka! Reply with quote

There are some folks on this site that deserve more of a conversation than what has transpired, (Jacks Crows, Temporary Rogue, & Jos van vliet especially). For my mostly silent part, I apologize, but say thank you for your posts. I have enjoyed the poetry you share, your critiquing of different literary publications, & the anthologized music and musicians you enjoy. You have given a voice to those that love Johnís music.

I wanted to write in after the last show to let those that were interested know what songs John had played. I felt there was so much to write that I would let it settle first.
A piece of it goes like thisÖ.

I saw John on March 8 at the Sellersville Theatre, PA.
(I no longer keep a set list from the shows.)
I can remember the following:
Iím From NJ, Blue Chalk, Where the Bottles Break, Let Them in, Branching Out, Love is our Cross, I Saw a Stranger With Your Hair, People Our Age, Writing in the Margins, When You Sing, The Gypsy Life, The Sentinel, Winter Cows.
My favorites of the night: The Water is Wide, Trouble in Mind, & Ae Fond Kiss, a Robert Burns poem/song. I loved Johnís performance of Trouble In Mind.
I have a lot to write about the Burnís poem/song. I can quietly still hear this lament in my head, Johnís voice so right for its depth of emotion. I was slain; the song is haunting.

A bit of history helps in telling the story of this song.
Robert Burns was and is the bard of Scotland. Born the 25th of January 1759 he lived a full life, although not long. He died on July 21 1796.
John shared with the audience how charming Burns was with the ladies and they found him hard to resist.

The poem Ae Fond Kiss is about and for Clarinda.

At the time of meeting Clarinda (1787) Burns was engaged to Jean Armour, And Clarinda was married but separated from her husband, who was in the West Indies.

Clarinda was the daughter of a highly successful surgeon in Glasgow and had married at the young age of 17. It was said that her husband was in no way worthy of her & a separation was the consequence.
Quite beautiful, intelligent, and something of a poetess, Clarinda made a powerful impression on Burns and he was smitten.

Clarinda might have been religious and this led her to the decision to end the affair and rejoin her husband. Burns and she parted in 1791. Forty years later she wrote the following in her personal journal.

ď6th dec. 1831---- this day I can never forget. Parted with Burns in the year 1791 never more to meet in this world. Oh, may we meet in heaven!Ē

She died at the age of 82 in 1841. From poems and letters of correspondence between the two, I believe they were very much in love.

An aged book of mine ďMemoirs of Robert BurnsĒ
Contains the following is as it appears on page 232:

Ae Fond Kiss
Tune ďRory Dallís Port
This exquisitely beautiful song sprang from the depth of the poetís passion for Clarinda; and is one of the most vehement and impressive outbursts ever written.

Ae fond kiss and then we sever;
Ae fareweel and then forever!
Deep in heart-wrung tears Iíll pledge thee,
Warring sighs and groans Iíll wage thee.

Who shall say that Fortune grieves him,
While the star of hope she leaves him?
Me, nae cheerfuí twinkle lights me;
Dark despair around benights me.

Iíll neíer blame my partial fancy,
Naething could resist my Nancy;
But to see her was to love her;
Love but her, and love forever.

Had we never loved sae kindly,
Had we never loved sae blindly,
Never met ---or never parted,
We had neíer been broken-hearted

Fare-thee-weel, thou first and fairest!
Fare-thee-weel, thou best and dearest!
Thine be ilka joy and treasure,
Peace, Enjoyment, Love, and Pleasure!

Ae fond kiss and then we sever;
Ae fareweel, alas! Forever!
Deep in heart-wrung tears Iíll pledge thee,
Warring sighs and groans Iíll wage thee.

John said the Burns song Ae Fond Kiss would be on his next cd. I hope his next cd will be soon.
Julia
upperlands

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: A Beggin' Your Pardon Reply with quote

I didn't want to be remiss in mentioning three other heavy weights of this forum. Bryn The Music Junkie, Between 5&7, and Dino, please note what I wrote in the previous post; I meant this for you as well. All of you are part of a group of fans going way back to The Gypsy Life site, as well as Bryn and Susan Finn's site. Thank you for lifting our spirits and sometimes distracting us from more serious matters.
(Remember, some of us are cyber-shy...)
We love John Gorka and we also love you.
Julia
Temporary Rogue

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julia - thanks for your kind words, and news about the show! It's great reading. Thanks also for sharing the beautiful Robert Burns poem. True love is a rare and beautiful thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> All Things John Gorka All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: