Back to Home

So Dark You See - A Fond Kiss

between5and7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: So Dark You See - A Fond Kiss Reply with quote

I've had a chance to listen to the CD a few times now and am curious to hear what others think about it. I was hoping Dino would reappear and get the song of the week going again, but since I hadn't seen anything as of yet, thought I would kick it off until he decided to take it back over.

Interesting choice to start off the album, A Fond Kiss, written in 1791 by Robert Burns. Don't be afraid to share your thoughts on it.

A fond kiss, and then we sever;
A farewell, and then forever!
Deep in heart-wrung tears I'll pledge thee,
Warring sighs and groans I'll wage thee.
Who shall say that Fortune grieves him,
While the star of hope she leaves him?
Me, nae cheerfu' twinkle lights me;
Dark despair around benights me.
I'll ne'er blame my partial fancy,
Nothing could resist my Nancy;
But to see her was to love her;
Love but her, and love forever.
Had we never lov'd say kindly,
Had we never lov'd say blindly,
Never met--or never parted--
We had ne'er been broken-hearted.
Fare thee well, thou first and fairest!
Fare thee well, thou best and dearest!
Thine be like a joy and treasure,
Peace. enjoyment, love, and pleasure!
A fond kiss, and then we sever;
A farewell, alas, forever!
Deep in heart-wrung tears I'll pledge thee,
Warring sighs and groans I'll wage thee!
between5and7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can honestly say I wasn't expecting a song like this to start the album. I was waiting to be swept away by that familiar John Gorka 'magic' that I've come to love on so many of his songs, but it just didn't happen that first time (in fact, it took until Track 3 to make that connection). The guitar intro started to pull me in, but the words weren't classic Gorka, they were classic 200-year-old Burns. But as is the case with a number of JG songs that I didn't make a strong connection with from the start, every listen I hear more, start to understand a little more, until next thing you know, the 'magic' starts shining through. Now I can't wait for Track 1 to begin.

Besides hearing John deliver such phrases as 'benights me' and 'partial fancy' for the first time, this choice led me to actually learn something new. Not being much of a historical poem kind of guy, I typed 'A Fond Kiss' into Google and read about the real life connection between Burns and 'Nancy' (Agnes McLehose), the woman who broke his heart and inspired this song.
T & B

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We heard John sing a draft of this (A Fond Kiss) at the Birchmere in Alexandria, Va. this past July. Liked it then, as a live performance always adds something special to the material. Like it a lot now after listening to the CD during the last week.

Also love John's rendition of "The Dutchman", it seems to have something that's missing from any previous version I've heard. It's been "Gorkafied".

"Can't Get Over It", like many of John's songs, seems to catch us in that particular place we are now. All in all, another great addition to our collection.

Thanks John!
Temporary Rogue

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for getting the song of the week thread going, 5&7. Dino, where art thou?

Having listened a number of times myself, I think this is a really great album by John. There is a very relaxed feel to this one, and the instrumental pieces add some spontaneity to the mix. I've always loved John's guitar playing but feel he's stepped it up a notch on this album.

With "A Fond Kiss" he has once again put music to poetry. I wonder if this involves a different creative process than when John puts a melody to his own words? Whether he hears the music while reading the poems, or how he decides which to put music to? In any event, I feel the music does a good job conveying the sentiment of the poem.

We'll get to the other songs later, but I have to agree, John's version of "The Dutchman" is very moving. "Live By The Sword" has the sting of a Jackson Browne song during his late - 80's political peak.

Enjoy,
Rogue
upperlands

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heigh Ho!
Happy Hallows Eve.
So much fun...
There is more about Clarinda/Nancy in a previous thread on this discussion board and of the relationship with Burns. The following is something I found on a webpage. I don't know if we will ever have the joy of seeing the play but the material and characters would make for a great movie.

"Nancy McLehose is better known as Clarinda, the woman who said “no” to Robert Burns and she will soon be seen once again in Auld Reekie’s old town, at the Netherbow Theatre, part of the Scottish Storytelling Centre in John Knox House on Edinburgh’s Royal Mile, 400 yards from Canongate Cemetery where she is buried and where a plaque is erected in her memory.
Her return is in the new Scottish musical play “Clarinda”, which not only tells the fascinating story of Nancy McLehose and of her four-year platonic love affair with Robert Burns, that led to the exchange of the famous Clarinda and Sylvander letters and inspired the poet to write “Ae Fond Kiss”, but also looks at the life of Scotland’s National Bard from a very different angle."

Faithfully Yours,
Julia
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> All Things John Gorka All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: